Center Stage “Comes Alive” for Preview Show

Hannah Harris, Editor-in-Chief

East show choir Center Stage performed a preview show for their upcoming season Friday night. The concert showcased both East and North choirs and took place at Columbus North High School.

Center Stage sang “Maps” by Maroon 5, “Everyday is a Winding Road” by Sheryl Crow, “The Long and Winding Road” by the Beatles, “Carry on Wayward Son” by Kansas and a mashup of “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield and “Come Alive” from “The Greatest Showman,” respectfully.

Performing a show that involves singing, dancing and changing costumes is no easy task. Senior Lauren Tracy has experienced first hand just how chemistry plays a role in producing an enjoyable performance.

“Our show choir is such a tight knit group,” Tracy said. “Since our rehearsal time is both in and out of school, we end up spending a lot of time together.”

As a second year member of Center Stage, Tracy also knows the ins and outs of show choir, including the not-so-stage-ready parts.

“Things do get tense, but it always comes from a place of concern since we all care a lot about the show going well,” Tracy said. “I’m thankful for my dynamic team as a choir because we all love and care about each other.”

Not all extracurricular activities offer the same welcoming environment that Tracy finds in show choir. Not only does this environment help the choir get along, but it helps students like Tracy grow.

“Show choir has taught me how to have confidence in myself,” Tracy said. “I started show choir when I transferred to East my junior year and I had little to no confidence in my ability. This year, I’m the alto section leader and I have a solo in the show.”

Tracy proves show choir to be more than just dancing and singing with a costume change. Show choir is a place for people to discover who they are, and a place for people to realize who they could be. Whether students start show choir feeling confident or not, they all leave with one thing in common: a tight-knit, confidence-boosting, music-loving family.