East sophomore competes against brother

Sophomore+Andy+Davidson+wrestles+against+his+older+brother+Alex+during+the+North+versus+East+wrestling+meet.+

Rebecca Smith

Sophomore Andy Davidson wrestles against his older brother Alex during the North versus East wrestling meet.

Bryn Eudy, Writer

This evening was the North versus East wrestling match. The 13th ranked Olympians won with a score of 54-12. The most interesting match of the night involved only five points and one of East’s few losses of the night with a score of 3-2. Two brothers, one from East and one from North, wrestled against each other for the first time in their high school careers.

Competing against his brother is not new to East sophomore Andy Davidson. Earlier this year, Andy and his brother, Columbus North senior Alex Davidson, competed against each other on the soccer field during the North versus East sectional soccer game. Post game, the sibling and school rivalries were intense.

“[My brother and I] didn’t talk at all the day after the soccer game, but a week later we were back to normal,” said Andy.

In the sectional match-up, East won 1-0, ending North’s season.

Andy’s decision to attend East instead of following his brother to North was due to soccer. Andy had been coached by the East boys’ soccer varsity coach, Brad Barber, and wanted to continue playing for Barber.

Even though Alex is a senior and Andy is a sophomore, they wrestle in the same 145 pound weight class. Both Davidson brothers have wrestled throughout high school. The brothers have a close amount of experience. Alex boasts six years of experience while Andy has five.

This match-up is more of a personal one than soccer, according to Andy.

“I feel like wrestling will be worse because it’s a head to head match-up. During the soccer game, we had the rest of the team with us but in wrestling it is one on one,” Andy said.