Library named after East’s first principal

Submitted Photo

All of the Columbus East principals who have served the school since its opening pose in front of the newly named LeRoy Nelson Library at East. From left to right, Bill Jensen, Gary Goshorn, LeRoy Nelson, current principal Mark Newell and Phil Houston.

Natalie Ryan, Writer

A new sign and plaque have recently been added to the wall outside of the East library, and on Monday, Jan. 11, at the school board meeting, it was officially dedicated as the LeRoy Nelson library. LeRoy Nelson was Columbus East’s first principal after its opening in 1972 and made sizable contribution to the accepting atmosphere that East is known for.

“When you’re building anything … you have to give it a good foundation to give it future success,” said Principal Mark Newell.

Nelson worked at East, North High School and Central Middle School, and his sons contacted BCSC Superintendent John Quick about honoring his years at BCSC by naming something in the district in after Nelson. Newell wrote a letter to the board before Winter Break suggesting the library, and the vote was cast Monday evening at the board meeting.

Nelson, his wife and his sons attended the dedication, as well as many other retired East staff members and all of the former principals.

“[Nelson] talked about a sense of family for the faculty, and that community is still here today because of what he established,” Newell said.

Nelson lives with his wife at Four Seasons in Columbus.