E-learning to be implemented in place of make-up days

BCSC plans to implement ‘E-learning days’ if more than five days are missed due to weather.

Josie Royer

East student Andrea Stattenfield checks her itsLearning page before the start of class.

Abigail Larken, Writer

Snowy weather and icy conditions go hand and hand with days off of school and promises of make-up snow days. However, this school year e-Learning days are going to be put into place on the sixth snow day.

Columbus East Principal Mark Newell said he felt that adding snow make-up days onto the end of the year is not as effective as it should be. The first five snow days will be made up during the second week of spring break. Any additional snow days will be made up online.

“We feel like being face-to-face is the best for school, but adding days onto the end of the year isn’t effective enough to do it,” Newell said.

Students will have the ability to log onto itsLearning from home and receive digital assignments from teachers. However, not all of the schoolwork has to be done by the end of that day. There will be a certain amount of days given for the work to be completed.

“E-Learning days are kind of like if you have a sub and the teacher gives you your assignment through itsLearning,” Newell said.

Since not all students will have internet access, East, Southside, and Northside will all be open for students to access wifi if needed. Naturally, since this is the first year with e-Learning snow days, it will be a learning experience for teachers and students.

Newell says that everyone will have to be patient with the new process and hopes that the new system will remain unused.