Sophomores to be tested with ISTEP+ and ECA

A+timeline+for+future+standardized+tests+for+East+students+this+year.+

Brooke Williams

A timeline for future standardized tests for East students this year.

Natalie Glaid, Writer

As the third quarter is almost halfway through, sophomores will be looking forward to more than spring break: they will be looking toward the standardized testing. In the past, the End of Course Assessment, ECA, was the only standardized test sophomores were required to take. This year, however, Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz called for both the ISTEP+ and ECA exams to be taken.

Due to changing graduation requirements, students are now required to pass ISTEP+ instead of the ECA, according to the Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation’s Director of Assessment Missy Zimmerman. In years to follow, the only purpose of the ECA will be for juniors and seniors who choose to retest because they were unsatisfied with their previous scores.

Both exams assess students’ Math and English/Language Arts skills. Additionally, ISTEP+ tests students over their Science skills. The first round of ISTEP+ will be taken in March 2016, with the second round of testing following in May. ISTEP+ results will then be determined by the fall of 2016.

Needless to say, students are not happy about the new testing changes. Sophomore Grace Bowling said, “I don’t think standardized tests provide an accurate representation of a student’s knowledge. The only benefit that comes from standardized testing is the actual test-taking experience.”

Students are not the only ones unhappy about standardized testing. BCSC’s Director of Secondary Education William Jensen said, “These tests prohibit students from being innovative and expressing themselves in their own creative, personal ways. I strongly dislike standardized testing and do not think it accurately shows the depth or full potential of students.”

The main goal of ISTEP+ is to see stronger results due to the recently adjusted standards. These amodified standards require students to analyze, evaluate, and solve at a deeper level. Zimmerman says that BCSC is a dynamic school corporation and standardized testing poses a challenge for students to show their progress and development. While the new standards entail more problem solving and critical thinking, the tests do not measure these standards very well.

Despite the strong dislike for standardized testing, there is still a need to prepare for it.

“We have sophomores practice for the tests by taking the PSAT and Acuity,” said Columbus East High School English Department Chair Chasidy Kannianen. “These structures benefit both teachers and students because students get more test-taking experience and teachers are able to identify students’ weak spots.”

Both Jensen and Zimmerman greatly empathize with sophomores and all the testing they will have to complete. Yet, Zimmerman still manages to be optimistic.

“We know standardized testing is frustrating for teachers and students. But by having to take both exams, sophomores get an extra opportunity to meet graduation requirements,” Zimmerman said.

Testing Tips

-get plenty of sleep the night before...try to get at least 8 hours

-eat a healthy breakfast in the morning

-take deep breathes to relax

-be attentive and work hard in class