Spring Break book list

Michaela Landis, Writer

Stuck at home during spring break while your friends are out of town? Here’s a list of books where the characters go on vacation and experience some once-in-a-lifetime adventures.

Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
High school student Amy and college freshman Roger partake in a carefully planned road trip from California to Connecticut. They wind up taking multiple detours along the way that forces Amy to face her biggest fears and come to terms with her grief of her late father and her guilt.

Are We There Yet? By David Levithan
Brothers Elijah and Danny are total opposites and can barely tolerate one another. Their parents trick them into taking a trip to Italy together to repair their broken relationship. Their parent’s solution becomes a nightmare as they are forced to spend countless hours together. They reflect on the direction of their own lives and on the distance that has grown between them.

Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Wanda and Jordan meet while leaving on the streets of New York City. They eventually decide to take a road trip across the United States to discover whether or not the world is a beautiful place.

Breaktime by Aidan Chambers
A classmate’s challenge to prove that literature is related to real life inspires Ditto to leave during spring break on a trip and write down his life changing adventures that he experiences.

Don’t Fail Me Now by Una LaMarche
Leah and Michelle live two completely different lives and only have one thing in common, their biological father. They make the difficult decision to come together and go on a cross country road trip to visit their dying father in California.

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
Divorced Theresa Osborne is on a vacation with she finds a bottle on a the beach while jogging. Inside the bottle is a love letter to Catherine signed by Garrett. Theresa is intrigued by the mystery and pulled by emotions that she fully doesn’t fully understand. She begins to go on a search to find this ‘Garrett’ person. She comes across an unexpected encounter that embraces the hope for finding someone special and having a love that is everlasting.

The Problem with Paradise by Lesley Dahl
Casey dreads leaving her friends and boyfriend to spend her summer on a Caribbean island with her father, stepmother, and brothers who all happen to be naturalists. She has some once-in-a-lifetime life changing experiences. For example, she learns how to sail, helps with turtle conservation, survives storms, and even romance.

Sister Slam and the Poetic Motor Mouth Roadtrip by Linda Oatman High
17-year-old Laura, who is a slam poet, hits the road with her best friend to travel to a poetry slam in New York City. The duo and their style of poetry take the Big Apple by storm. This book is told entirely in Laura’s slam poetry style.

Spring Fling by Linda Oatman High
17-year-old Danielle is on vacation with her two best friends for spring break. It’s the perfect opportunity for her to shed her shy-girl image. It turns out she’ll get a lot of help from a houseful of cute boys staying next door to them. Before spring break ends will she find love and discover who she really is?

They Came from Below by Blake Nelson
Emily and her best friend Reese go on vacation to Cape Cod during their summer break. Every year they have high hopes that they will finally get together with some cute guys but it never happens until this year. They meet two boys Steve and Dave that seem too good to be true. A lot of different things happen when they are around. Reese realizes it’s because they’re not from around here. They aren’t from France or any place like that. They are from the depths of the sea to help fight global pollution. Steve and Dave are just friendly aliens in human form.

Wish You Were Here by Catherine Clark
Ariel Fluck is on a two week bus tour with her sister, mother, uncle, and grandparents. She started out dreading the trip. By the end of the trip she ends up being surprised by what she learns when begins to get to know her family.

Zig Zag by Ellen Wittlinger
High school junior Robin agrees to join her aunt and cousins on a road trip across the country after her boyfriend leaves for the summer. She and her younger cousins have never got along. Robin discovers places she never knew existed and strengths she didn’t know she had.