Athlete of the Week: Kamebry Wagner

Dustin Rodgers

East forward Kamebry Wagner dribbles the ball.

Klayton Brummett, Web Staff

Sophomore Kamebry Wagner is making a huge difference for Columbus East Women’s Soccer. This is Kamebry’s second year being part of the Varsity team, but her first year not having to split time with JV. Kamebry is a striker and reeks havoc on defenders with her aggressive pressure and fast movement.

Q: How does it feel to be chosen as Athlete of the Week?
A: Great! I was surprised, but it’s exciting to be recognized.

Q: How did it feel to bounce back after suffering a loss to Columbus North the night before? Was there a change in your mindset from the previous game?
A: It was great to come back and win against Madison after a bad loss. The win gave our team the confidence we need to work hard towards our best for the remainder of the season. I was upset about our loss to Columbus North, but we knew had dominated Madison in years past and that was what I expected. I focused on how important our win against Madison would be, conference-wise, rather than dwell on mistakes I made in the game before.

Q: What was going through your head before each goal you scored?
A: I scored early on in the first half from a garbage goal and it took me by surprise. The second goal was a lucky tap into the right corner. Before each goal, I was trying to focus on being where I needed to be and following each shot, which led to both of my goals.

Q: How do you plan to carry this success throughout the rest of the season?
A: I plan on continuing my success throughout the rest of the season by putting forth all effort possible in each game and working hard during practices to improve my footwork and finishing.