The decline of reading for pleasure in high school

Camden Newell

Junior Cade Horn reads a book in resource.

Ben Allen, Social Media Team

In BCSC elementary and middle schools, reading is required. AR, or accelerated reading, points are used to track a student’s knowledge of the books they have read throughout the year. The student then gets a grade based on the quality and quantity of the books they read.

Elementary students are able to explore the different genres and begin to formulate likes and dislikes at an early age. So, if children grow up reading for pleasure, then why is it thrown away once they get to highschool?

In high school, AR is no longer required and students often drop reading from their everyday schedule. Students simply don’t have time to read for fun, given all of the extracurricular activities, homework and jobs that most high schoolers participate in.

Although reading for fun can’t always happen, some high school english classes require reading. For example, in English 11 Honors, students are required to read 4 books and write papers on each of the books. These books are assigned, and not all students enjoy the books selected.

“Required reading rushes the reading experience,” said senior Jon Crawford. Mandatory reading in high school isn’t all bad, however. “Some of the books we read last year were actually pretty good,” said Crawford. “I especially enjoyed Into the Wild.”

While reading for fun isn’t as common in high school as it is in elementary school or even adulthood, some students are still able to find time to enjoy the books they want to read.

“I normally read a chapter or two after I finish my homework, before I go to bed. Some days I can’t find time to read, but I enjoy it when I can,” said senior Brooke Banister.