Adulting: Should growing up be something to worry about?

Abigail Larken, Students Editor

As teenagers, our lives are filled to the brim with new responsibilities, which basically leads to continuous stress. High school is pretty much the time to start making important life decisions, especially towards the end of these four years.

We all hope that as we get older, life just simultaneously gets easier too. However, that’s not always the case – in fact, it rarely is.

Life is constantly going to be filled with new challenges that will require you to act as an adult in any situation. Teenagers are now stressing over a term coined “adulting”, which pretty much means having grown up responsibilities.

Growing up can be a daunting task that inevitably leads to anxiety about what the future holds. However, “adulting” is nothing to necessarily stress about. Why? Because growing up is something that naturally happens, whether you intend it to or not. The challenges you will face will always be difficult to deal with, but your ability to handle these situations will get better with time.

Even thinking about learning how to deal with these future problems is stressful. But it should not be as daunting as it seems right now. As we grow up, we go through different experiences that will prepare us for being adult. All of this boils down to time. It takes time to grow up and it takes time to develop the capacity to maturely deal with what we are facing.

Stressing over the future is not going to help you or calm your nerves about growing up. Rather, focus on the life you are leading now and know that you will grow up without even knowing it.