Stress Detox

Kimberly Schneckenberger, Photographer

As a student at East there are times throughout the day in which one may become stressed. This stress can completely overwhelm one’s body and their body shuts down; you may not think straight, maybe a headache and you may possibly mentally shut down. As time grows I have found coping methods for stress I like to use to calm down or in other words: relax.

When I am home and I become stressed I tend to just shove everything aside and take a nap. After waking up, I seem to feel refreshed. Most importantly I wake up without feeling stressed and a majority of the time I am ready to tackle whatever has stressed me out.

When I am unable to fall asleep, I try listening to music really loudly. Which yes, I know loud music is bad for my ears, but in the end I become relaxed and able to go on with my day as is. If music does not help my stress level I go to Columbus Fit and do an intense workout. From personal experience, going hard at the gym pays off mentally just as much as physically.

If I become stressed during the late night hours of doing homework, I have a couple of things I might possibly do: yoga, listen to headspace, or watch something funny to lighten my mood. When I do yoga, I do it through an app called Yoga Studio; the app costs $4.99 in the App Store. In my opinion, the price you pay is worth it if you use it as much as I do. In Yoga Studio, there are preset collections (ready made classes) such as Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Sun Salutations, Deep Relaxation Meditations, Quick Yoga Fix, Yoga For Back Pain, Yoga For Runners and Earth Salutations. In each of these collections there are about ten different classes to choose from and each vary in length and poses. However, if you would rather create your own set of poses you can do so by creating your own class. Personally, I tend to do a preset class. It saves time and I personally trust the app with a legitimate yoga session.

Another app I personally enjoy is Headspace. Headspace is an app that calms the mind and relaxes you. Normally one session takes about ten minutes. The sessions are pretty repetitive with the idea of focusing on your breathing and being at peace with the world and your surroundings. Headspace personally makes me tired, which then leads to my first option when it comes to stress.

Although I’ve listed plenty of ways to relax yourself, there are other methods individuals use to do the same task. For more methods on calming down check out this website: http://greatist.com/happiness/40-ways-relax-5-minutes-or-less.