Advice to Freshmen

Erik Cardoso

Freshman listen to English teacher Nevie Dewhirst teach.

Cam Key, Web Editor of Content

As the second full week of a new year comes to a close, the amount of annoyed glances and mumbled apologies remains steadily at maximum.

Every passing period is a massacre, every lunch hour is a free-for-all, and upperclassmen must stow their irritation or else be reminded of their own freshman blunders.

So in the name of Unity, here is a list of four things upperclassmen wish they had been told when they were freshmen all those years ago.

• The hallway is for walking. That includes Resource Floor and Gallery Level.
    • The open concept of these two floors is inviting and misleading. While it may seem like space is in abundance, neither of these floors are for standing around or having conversations.
    • Keep moving, get to class on time, and keep the way clear for others. Upperclassmen will thank you.
  • Never listen to gossip about teachers, especially from people who have never had their classes.
    • Almost everyone has something to say about their former teachers. Miss so-and-so gave a lot of homework, Mister what’s-his-name was horrible and gave too many projects.
    • These comments are damaging and largely untrue, and unfortunately sway freshmen all too easily into switching out of a class they were really looking forward to.
  • RESPECT the staff.
    • The staff at Columbus East is so wonderful and willing to help, and they deserve you at your best each and every day.
    • Teachers especially must wade through class after class, personally connecting with each and every student because they truly care about their education, evident in the amount of personal funds they put into classroom supplies and the time they spend outside of class to make life easier on their students.
    • Anyone that invests in their students deserves their appreciation and hard work in return.
  • Navigate the hallways wisely.
    • Every thoroughfare in the school has three major sections to be used at students’ discretion.
    • One on each side for walking, and one center section used for stopping or turning. Though this may seem trivial, hallway navigation is a key skill needed to carry freshmen through high school.
    • By sticking to these simple guidelines, students insure that not only do they make it to class on time, but so does everyone else.