Student Profile: Evan Adkins

Liz Hagan, Photographer

Evan Adkins, a current junior at Columbus East, drives thirty five minutes every morning to come to school.

Adkins previously attended Greensburg Community High School and transferred to East at the beginning of this school year. From his perspective, the numerous educational opportunities offered at East exceed the opportunities in Greensburg.

“Columbus East definitely takes their education more seriously,” Adkins said. “They definitely show, or simulate, a college way more than Greensburg.”

Adkins utilizes these educational opportunities by taking advanced courses such as AP Language and Composition and ACP U.S. History. He believes the classes he is currently taking are challenging him as well as giving him “a good idea of what college will be like.”

Not only has Adkins received multiple opportunities for his education, he has enjoyed the friendly East environment.   

“The people are very nice here,” Adkins said. “I haven’t met a single rude person yet.”

Before coming to Columbus, Adkins never experienced much diversity, and the presence of minorities intrigues him. Greensburg is a dominantly white town, whereas Columbus is home to multiple minorities with different cultures.  

“I’ve never gone to a school with so many minorities before,” Adkins said. “And it’s interesting to see them.”

Since coming to East, Adkins has met new people of different cultures other than the common American culture in his home town.

As a new student at Columbus East, Adkins is content with the education he is currently receiving. His perspective of his new school is exceedingly positive, and he enjoys the friendly environment East provides.