Latinos Learn about Post-Secondary Education

Yetla Reyna, Cover Editor

IUPUC students and staff held an event for Latinos in high school last Friday. Not only were North, East and CSA there, but Seymour High School students attended too.

Éxito Latino is an event for latino high school students to learn about post-secondary schooling. Students went through four sessions and learned about career paths, potentially for their future.

Although the event was for students, counselors and administrators attended. Mark Newell, Brian Hansen and Andrew Taube joined in the event.

Taube was there to learn about the needs and challenges facing Latino students at East. He said he enjoyed the snacks as well as learning different information helpful for students.

“I was invited and wanted to come today to try to help and understand some of the challenges that Latino students face and some of the unique opportunities [they have],” Taube said.

After the four sessions with various successful students and adults, everyone was invited outside for some food and music.

The music consisted of classics, like “No Rompas Mas Mi Pobre Corazón,” where a handful of students got up and danced together.

After a few songs and some dessert provided by Flip Flop Ice Pops, all students headed back inside for a talk from keynote speaker, Greicy Patiño

Patiño will be a part of the two way conversion program next year at Clifty Creek. The two-way conversion program will teach students 80 percent in Spanish and 20 percent in English.

The workshop event was intended for students to learn about their future options, with all the successful adults it would have been hard not to.