East student section prepares for rivalry weekend

Last years student section leaders Molly Connor and Sam Lewis cheer on the Olympian football team during the 2014 East vs. North game.

Last year’s student section leaders Molly Connor and Sam Lewis cheer on the Olympian football team during the 2014 East vs. North game.

Bailey Schroeder, Writer

Being a part of the student section is essential when attending a North/East game. Another essential element is dressing the part for the theme.

“The leaders have a group message to throw themes at each other,” said Noah Kinnaird, one of the six student section leaders this year. “We also try to make sure we have at least one member at each sporting event if we aren’t all able to make it.”

For this year’s North/East football game, the theme is “Tie Down the Bulldogs.” All students are wearing tie dye to support the football team. Another theme for the 2015 North/East Week is “It’s ‘Merica” for the soccer games.

Even incoming freshmen have looked at the student section, waiting for the day they can be a part of the fun and crazy themes.

“The most memorable student section theme was when everyone dressed up as old people on senior night for a Boys’ Basketball game,” said freshman Gracie Sorrels, who remembers being in eighth grade and laughing at the student section dressing up for the theme “SENIOR Citizens.”

There are no limits when it comes to showing up in the best costume. Being a part of the student section helps everyone come together to show their school spirit. However, not all of the themes over the years have been successful.

“One theme I didn’t like was when everyone wore all orange for ‘Orange Out’,” junior Jenna Weber said. “Even though everyone showed up following the theme, it was creative and boring.”

The student section leaders work to make the section a place of which everyone wants to be a part. While not all themes live up to the expectations, most end up being themes students will reminisce about for years following high school.