Girls’ volleyball and basketball use summer seasons to prepare

Senior+Lauren+Baugh+prepares+to+serve+during+the+2014+volleyball+season.+

Senior Lauren Baugh prepares to serve during the 2014 volleyball season.

Bailey Schroeder, Writer

Columbus East’s volleyball and girls’ basketball teams had productive summers. There were some changes to the staff as well as new, incoming freshmen.

The volleyball girls started their summer with a new head coach Stacie Pagnard. Pagnard is from Yorktown, which is located near Muncie. She had previously coached at Westfield High School for nine years. The two assistant varsity coaches are Robb Painter and Terry Sweasy.

“Pagnard has been working towards the improvement of hitting and blocking, defense, and more exercises for skill building,” senior Lauren Baugh said.

During the week, the coach has a five-day rule for practices. If there are two games in one week, the players will have three practices. If there is a tournament on the weekend, they will only have four practices during the week.

Over the summer, the team had a lake day to incorporate team bonding off the court. Parents were also included. The team ate, swam and tie dyed shirts at Lutheran Lake. The volleyball program believes that it is important to bond outside of practice; it helps the team communicate better on the court.

Despite the changes in the coaching staff, the team is working together to improve and put their best foot forward.

“Reading plays in order to better communicate on the court is one of the team’s weaknesses. The team’s strengths are hitting and blocking as well as defense,” Baugh said.

The East girls’ basketball team finished the previous season with a 9-11 record. Danny Brown has been head coach for 13 years. The varsity assistant coach is Willie Humes.

The team had many games in Edinburgh over the summer. While there is only one returning senior, Audrey Wetzel, many incoming freshmen have come out to be apart of the team.

One of these freshmen, Riley Forbes, said, “At the beginning of the season we would play games to get to know each other, and a couple times before tournaments we would picnic outside.”

Once the players grow more comfortable with each other, they will be able to further progress and grow. Activities like the games and picnics as well as a car wash at East serve as a way for the team to come closer together.

The Olympians at the next home volleyball game will be on September 15, and the first home girls basketball game is scheduled for November 3.