Five classic horror films to bring on the Halloween Spirit

With the spookiest season upon us, what better way to celebrate than to have a Halloween movie marathon with these five classic horror films?

Logan Foote

Get the run down on these five classic horror movies!

Brayana Cacho, Writer

Monster House (2006) Dir. by Gil Kenan

When the grouchy old neighbor’s wife mysteriously vanishes, 12 year old D.J Walters brings it upon himself and his friend, Chowder, to go investigate. Soon, they make an unexpected discovery: the house is a real, living monster. The only problem is, they were a little too late with this revelation-now their only mission is to get out alive.

Scream (1996) Dir. by Wes Craven

As the base of countless spin-off films, Scream is home to the notorious serial killer known as Ghostface. Scream is not only known for it’s fresh, modern-day take on a horror story; it is the beginning of paranoia when it comes to answering an unknown number on the phone. The story is based on the lives of six high school students, affected by an anonymous murderer on the loose who chooses his victims through a series of horror film trivia. It focuses upon the struggles and encounters with the killer as they each fight for their lives.

It! (1990) Dir. by Tommy Lee Wallace

Despite the box-office smashing 2017 remake, the original three hour long 1990 release of Stephen King’s It! has gone down as one of the first truly terrifying movies in history. The film depicts the story of seven classmates, known as the “Loser’s Club”, in the small town of Derry, Maine as they are forced to face their deepest fears when confronted by a forever shape-shifting monster known as “It”. The group successfully defeats the creature, taking an oath to band together if “it” is to come back in the future.The villain returns 27 years later to capture the gang’s everlasting fears once again, while the group overcomes obstacles while on their journey to not only retrieve past victims, but to put an end to the needless fear placed upon the citizens of Derry once and for all.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Known as one of Tim Burton’s most infamous works, The Nightmare Before Christmas follows the life of Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloweentown, and his desire to find a new holiday to celebrate. On this journey, he stumbles upon ‘Christmastown’, where he discovers an unfamiliar environment; bright colors and joyful spirits all around. He appreciates this energy, but takes an unexpected view on the cheerfulness- he wants to kidnap Santa and change the course of Christmas forever.

Halloweentown (1998)

A short time before Marnie Piper’s thirteenth birthday, her grandmother, Aggie, comes for a surprising visit: to inform her that if she does not learn her witch powers before she is a teenager, she could lose them forever. With this, Aggie also mentions that she will need Marnie’s assistance in order to defeat the rising evil within the beloved area known as Halloweentown.