Are Backpacks Too Heavy?

Emily Hales, Audrey Tian, Aliza Presto

Three different popular backpack styles.

Kylie Brooks, Writer

Most students have backpacks. And most students also take all of their books with them to avoid having to go down to their lockers. However, this may not be the best idea because doing this can lead to physical consequences.

“I can’t [go down to my locker] because I don’t have time,” said Jon Hainley, junior.

Other students mentioned similar issues, saying that they rarely or never use their lockers.

Another junior, Emylee States, said that she goes to her locker twice a day.

“Before school and at lunch,” States said.

The students have a few ideas about how this problem could be fixed; a common one being an extended passing period between classes.

“If you have to go all the way to your locker, which is on one side of the school, and all the way to the third floor on the other side, then maybe some more time to go to your locker would be more helpful,” States said.

Another idea was just having less textbooks that students keep out of class.

“Maybe teachers could just keep the textbooks in their class, so that when the students come in, they grab a textbook,” freshman Aliah Ritter said.

At East, students also have a laptop that they typically keep with them. The laptop alone weighs about five pounds and if a student has a textbook, or textbooks, the weight begins to add up.

Laptops and textbooks, along with other items a student may have, average out to just about 20 pounds (21 for boys and 19 for girls), according to a survey taken in resource.

Senior Ethan Patchett said, “[I keep] usually four textbooks, a lot of paper and my computer, but it adds up to a lot.”

To avoid straining yourself, here are some tips for carrying your backpack:

• Be cautious around stairs and uneven ground
    • If your backpack weighs a lot, it may affect your posture, causing you to lose balance.
  • Make sure to use both straps
    • It’s important to have the weight distributed evenly, as to not lean to one side
  • Use all of the compartments in a backpack
    • Place heavier things in the center
  • Use a backpack with wide, padded shoulder straps
    • A backpack with thin straps will dig into your shoulders and can cause numbness