East-North rivalry remains the same after all these years

Field preparations are underway for Friday’s annual rivalry game between Columbus East and Columbus North.

Nicole Hendrickson, Writer

The North versus East football game has been one of the most anticipated games of the football season since the game was first played in 1972. While traditions and plays have changed, the rivalry has remained the same. Dubbed by The Republic as the “biggest unimportant event ever,” fans and players regard it as the most important event ever.

Mark Ziegler, a member of the East 1982-1984 teams, reflected on his times playing at East and the rivalry with Columbus North. During all three of Ziegler’s years at East, his team beat the cross-town rival.

“I remember what it was like having four to five thousand fans show up to watch us play,” said Ziegler. “They were a great, big rival.”

Columbus East football has only played under two head coaches, John Stafford and Bob Gaddis, and remains to have a winning record against North. In the Gaddis era alone, the Olympians have a 9-3 head-to-head record over the Bulldogs.

Over the years, not much has changed about the game.

“I think [the rivalry] hasn’t changed one bit,” Ziegler said. “The rivalry is still there. Even having a son that is playing as a freshman at North, I think all the kids still get jacked up because they are both very well coached teams. North always wants to beat East and East always wants to beat North. I think the rivalry will always be there. The East/North rivalry is one of the biggest in the state. Having kids at North, but my wife and I both from East, we will cheer for the orange and brown and blue and white.”

Not only is the North/East game an intense battle for players, but it is also a captivating performance for spectators. Jared Whiteside, a member of the 2013 State Championship winning-team, reflected on what it was like to return to the game and watch as a fan as opposed to playing in the game.

“As a fan you think you can feel the atmosphere and the intensity of the game, however there is no comparison to the actual atmosphere and intensity that takes place on every play,” said Whiteside.