Olympians take two titles at state wrestling

Graham Rooks and Nick South earn first-place finishes

Bre Burton

East junior Nick South celebrates his state championship in the 160-pound weight class.

Caleb Davidson, Sports Editor

Columbus East wrestlers Graham Rooks and Nick South both took home state championships in Saturday’s IHSAA State Finals at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Rooks captured his first state title of his high school career defeating Cathedral’s Alex Mosconi 4-1 in 132-pound weight class. South won the 160-pound title with a 9-6 decision over Center Grove’s Gleason Mappes.

Six East wrestlers earned their way to the medal rounds of the IHSAA Wrestling State Finals.

East senior Dawson Combest lost a tough bout to Brownsburg’s Blake Mulkey to finish fourth in the 138-pound weight class. Junior Jake Schoenegge defeated long-time rival Tristan Sellmer from Floyd Central in a close 3-1 battle to place third at the 145-pound weight class. Senior Corban Pollitt won victory by default due to injury to capture seventh place in the 152-pound weight class.

To kick off the state championship matches for the Olympians, defending state champion and East junior Cayden Rooks fell to Avon’s Asa Garcia to obtain a state runner-up medal at 126.

In total, this year’s Olympian team had six different participants place in this year’s wrestling state tournament and had eight participants overall with Andy Davidson and Jacob Bolte also qualifying for state. In the team competition, East finished third.