The official news website of Columbus East High School

CEHS News

CEHS News

CEHS News

Men’s Volleyball

Mens+Volleyball

As spring sports begin to start up slowly but steadily, the anticipation for the new season begins as athletes are ready to put in another season of hard work to compete for East. One such spring sport, Men’s volleyball, is different from the rest though as it is a club rather than a traditional sport. 

Senior setter, Jakob Gilbert, has been around the club since his freshman year as he looks to finish it out around for his senior season with new goals in mind.

“Growing up, I was always around volleyball as I had a sister who played,” Gilbert said, “It was definitely something different but rewarding as I got to learn and challenge myself.”

This 2024 season is looking to be different from the rest as the many returning players have each taken a liking to the sport and in their efforts to get better, have worked hard since the end of the 2023 season.

“One thing that is very exciting about this upcoming season is that a lot of the players from last year have been working out during the offseason through playing club volleyball,” Gilbert said. “We are about the same team as last year due to having no seniors and adding players this year and through this offseason, have been able to grow more around the game. We also will have a more experienced coach than years past.” 

A key component to any good team, club or not, is the team chemistry and how well the players get along with each other. This volleyball team is no different as they were quick to become close friends.

“The community setting last year was really good because we all bonded right away even if we didn’t know each other at first, we all shared that same passion for playing volleyball,” Gilbert said. “I hope that this year, our chemistry grows even more as we had an entire year together and we hope to get some new players to help build the program.”