Vending Veggies: Adding Healthier Options to Vending Machines

Shelby Morrow

As we all know, East has multiple vending machines. There has been controversy around the topic of whether they should hold healthy snacks or not like fruit, yogurt and granola bars. Most vending machines at school hold chips, crackers, and of course, soda.

Photo by: Shelby Morrow

Although I personally think that having a healthy vending machine is a better option for students, this does not mean that they will use it. Many students would rather have unhealthy food to eat because it gives them the sugar they need to make it through the day. Another major factor as to why students use these vending machines is to stress eat. Students tend to rely on junk food when it comes to stress eating because it helps relieve the stress.

Schools always say that it is a priority to keep their kids healthy mentally and physically, but they still supply more “junk food” over healthy food. One way that schools can encourage the students to eat from the healthy vending machines is to lower the prices. Students are very tight on money, especially when they are high school students. 

Lowering the prices from one dollar to 75 cents may seem like a small change, but it gives the push needed for healthy food to be chosen over unhealthy food. Schools should also limit the amount of junk food they supply. Out of the three food vending machines that East has, only one is considered a “healthy option.”

If kids have the option of paying for something that is cheap or expensive, they will almost always go for the cheaper option. Placement is also a key part in getting kids to choose the healthier option. If you put a cup of fruit between chips and chocolate the kids are more likely to go for the chips and chocolate. 

East and other high schools need to limit the amount of junk food they supply in vending machines and need to increase the amount of healthy snacks.