Recap: Fall Break Sports

Senior Sam Newell dribbles past a North defender down the sideline during this seasons earlier North/East match.

Austin Lewis

Senior Sam Newell dribbles past a North defender down the sideline during this season’s earlier North/East match.

Bryn Eudy, Writer

While some students were relaxing, catching up on sleep or traveling over fall break, some Olympian athletes were competing for sectional or conference titles.

Volleyball
To start off the action over break, the Olympian volleyball team won the Hoosier Hills Conference tournament. The Olympians defeated conference rivals Floyd Central, New Albany and Seymour to clench the title. Following this victory, East defeated Roncalli in three straight sets. To cap off their busy week, the O’s participated in the East Invitational Tourney on Oct. 10, winning against Wapahani and Lexington Tates Creek and falling to Avon and Franklin. The team is now 24-6 in the season.

Cross Country
The girl’s and boy’s cross country teams placed fifth and third, respectively, in the Hoosier Hills Conference race on Oct 3. Junior Paul Bean won the boy’s race. Sectionals took place on Oct 10, and Paul Bean was victorious again, placing first. As a team, the boy’s and girl’s teams were each awarded with third place. Both teams advance to the regional race, which will take place on the Oct 17 at Brown County.

Boy’s Soccer
To start off sectional play, the Olympians defeated rival Columbus North 1-0 on Oct 6, with a goal in the 77th minute by senior Levi Copas off of an assist by senior Andrew Thomasson. The O’s later defeated the Seymour Owls 5-0 by goals from seniors Israel Renya, Ramiro Nieto (2), Andrew Thomasson and Sam Newell. This is East’s first boy’s soccer sectional championship in ten years. East will take on East Central at the Richard Wigh Soccer Complex at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday.

Girl’s Soccer
East girl’s soccer opened sectional play on Oct 8 with a 2-0 win over Columbus North. Both goals were scored by sophomore Addy Galarno within the first seven minutes of each half. In the championship on Oct 10, the Olympians defeated Seymour with a score of 1-0 to claim East’s first sectional title since 2013. Senior Brooklyn Taulman scored the winning goal. The girls resume play this Thursday at East Central High School against New Castle.