East women’s soccer begins regional play

Junior Karlee Dowd makes a long pass during the North/East game.

Austin Lewis, Writer

Many East students had memorable fall break experiences, although perhaps none had a more riveting week than the players of both the Girls’ and Boys’ soccer teams — for the first time in school history, both teams are sectional champions.

The girls play tonight, Wednesday, Oct. 14, at East Central against the New Castle Trojans, and the game is sure to be one of the toughest of their season, rivaled only by their match against East Central earlier in the year. The Olympians (9-4-5) face a team that is quite impressive on paper as the Trojans have a record of 17-1-0, letting a mere five balls cross the goal line all season.

In addition to New Castle’s impressive record, the Olympians have to continue to overcome the absence of senior midfielder Elisa Watkins.

“We’re adjusting, but I think we’re adjusting well. We’re learning how to use our other advantages and get the ball in different areas than what we normally would,” freshman forward Sarah Park said about the team coping without Watkins.

Despite the challenges the team will face tonight, a few of the girls know the stakes of the game as the Olympians advanced to Semi-State to be one of the “Elite 8” in 2013.

“I’m feeling nervous but I think we can do it…I think it’s going to take everyone working, all eleven of us at once, towards a common goal: winning,” said senior midfielder Brooklyn Taulman.