The official news website of Columbus East High School

Here’s the LGBTea

April 27, 2020

With recent progression in the LGBT+ community, schools across the world are beginning to adapt LGBT+ education into the curriculum for sex eduction with hopes to add a sense of inclusivity. 

According to the Human Rights Campaign, “Sex education can be one of the few sources of reliable information on sexuality and sexual health for youth.” By having a secure and inclusive form of sex education, not only will health risks decrease but so will individual discomfort. By including LGBT+ sex education into the curriculum, this will allow a better understanding of sexual orientation and gender identity among the students.

By using heteronormative scenarios during sex education, there is a lack of account of non-heteronormative scenarios. The typical example between male and female reproductive systems do not account for the relations between two partners who share the same reproductive system. Without correct information, students will be unaware of all available safety precautions that can be taken during sex, despite sexual orientation. Certain health risks during sex could potentially sky-rocket depending on the nature of the sexual relationship. 

Sex education is more than just sex, it is also about healthy romantic and familial relationships. Sexual orientation and gender identity are topics that can cause a ton of controversy due to differing beliefs. Resources and information should be taught during this time for students who need help coming to terms or coming out to close members in their life.

Other countries such as Australia have begun to incorporate LGBT+ sex education, however the United States is falling behind on the progressivity. A few states have laws that go under the nickname “No Promo Homo” laws which prohibit or limit the inclusivity of sexual orientation and gender identity in a school setting.

Indiana currently does not have any “No Promo Homo” laws, but the discussion of LGBT+ inclusive sex education appears to be off the table. In 2018, the topic of LGBT+ inclusive sex education was borught up but shut down quickly by State Senator Dennis Kruse.

“[Teachers] just have to teach according to the standards and abstinence, that’s the main thing, so actually they don’t even mention those things. It’s not in our curriculum and teachers shouldn’t be teaching that now. It’s not in our standards,” Kruse said.

Whether you like it or not, individuals are going to identify how they want. As a community, there needs to be support for each other and have the ability to come to terms with self-identity. By avoiding topics such as practicing safe sex between same sex couples, the community is only putting others at risk of harming their body. 

Choosing to not create an inclusive form of sex education is dangerous and irresponsible. This will not only lead to misinformation, but a sense of not belonging and confusion. Instead of fearing the unknown, bringing the knowledge to the surface is the most effective way to allow individuals to be safe.