East implements new water fountain technology

A+sensor+on+the+new+water+bottle+filling+stations+indicates+that+it+has+filled+the+equivalent+of+212+plastic+bottles.+

Jacob Harpring

A sensor on the new water bottle filling stations indicates that it has filled the equivalent of 212 plastic bottles.

Jacob Harpring, Writer

Columbus East High School has recently been equipped with what can only be described as the pinnacle of modern technology. We now have four water bottle filling stations each mounted above water fountains throughout the school. Installed over Thanksgiving break, there is now one on the east side of the gym, one by the main offices and two on resource floor. These stations make filling water bottles easier than ever. Gone are the typical hassles of holding up the drinking fountains for most of passing period only to walk away with a three quarters filled bottle.

The filling stations encourage the healthy habit of drinking plenty of water by making it very easy to fill bottles and have the added benefit of being environmentally friendly. Using devices such as as these with reusable water bottles can significantly cut down the amount of plastic that ends of in landfills. To get an idea of just how much our environmental impact can be reduced, each device has a counter that measures the amount of disposable water bottles that have been saved by refilling bottles.

These are wonderful benefits and are sure to leave a lasting legacy in the school. However, these stations boast a feature even more intriguing than any other benefit. The automatic sensor. Being the best source of entertainment since the cat and laser pointer, the automatic sensors on the machine have received a large amount of attention from the students, inquiring how they work and what the possibilities are.

The water bottle filling stations are a great addition to the school and as well as being very useful, encourage drinking more water and are environmentally friendly.