East wrestlers head to state

Senior+Sean+Galliger+tries+to+pin+a+North+wrestler.+

Julie Connor

Senior Sean Galliger tries to pin a North wrestler.

Caleb Davidson, Writer

This Friday and Saturday, three wrestlers will be representing the Olympians at the Indiana State Wrestling Tournament. Sophomore Graham Rooks will wrestle in the 120 lb weight class, sophomore Dawson Combest will compete in the 126 lb weight class, and senior Sean Galligar will wrestle in the 285 weight class.

Sophomore Dawson Combest has been wrestling since age four and has loved the sport from the time he started.

“I honestly don’t really know why I like to wrestle so much I just enjoy the sport and the competition I guess. I’ve been doing it my whole life and I plan to keep going throughout high school,” Combest said.

Last year, Combest made it to semi-state but fell in the ticket round. This year, however, Combest has already overcome past last year’s loss, beating two other wrestlers to secure his spot in the state lineup.

When asked about the upcoming State Championship, Combest said, “I’m really glad I’m here and it’s exciting, but the plan is to do a lot more than just make it here.”

Graham Rooks is another state bound wrestler for Columbus East. Rooks, also started wrestling at the age of four.

Rooks will be making his second appearance at the state level after last year’s 3rd place finish. Last year’s loss was disappointing for Rooks, but it hasn’t steered him away from his State Championship goal. Rooks feels confident that he can be crowned State Champion.

“I think that going to State again this year wasn’t a goal. It was an expectation. This year I came to win,” Rooks said.

Also representing Columbus East this year is senior Sean Galligar. Taking up wrestling as a freshman, Galligar certainly has the least experience of the state-bound Olympians, but now he is a possible State Champion and someone who truly enjoys the sport.

“I enjoy wrestling,” Galligar said. “It’s so much fun and you have to be accountable for yourself, which I really like as well.”

All three of the wrestlers representing Columbus East are highly ranked in the state and also very prepared for some stiff competition.

The first round of the State Tournament starts Friday at 6pm at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse. If the wrestlers win their matches, they continue on to final rounds Saturday.