East baseball starts season with a big win

Senior+Takahiro+Yamada+preparing+or+his+windup.+

Submitted Photo

Senior Takahiro Yamada preparing or his windup.

Natalie Glaid, Writer

Ever since last year’s upset in the sectional championship game against Bloomington South, Columbus East baseball has been eager to get back out on the field.

“I’m excited to start the season. The whole team has been working really hard in the off-season, so hopefully all the work we have put in will not only pay off at our first game, but throughout the entire season,” senior Nick Andrie said.

East began their season with a 15-1 win over Charlestown Senior High School last Wednesday night. In order to be prepared for the regular season, they worked hard during the off-season by having various practices, scrimmages and workouts.

Andrie explains that the team lost a lot of seniors last year, but he has confidence in the people filling the new varsity spots. Many of the players stepping up are from last year’s undefeated junior varsity team, so they are clearly talented. Along with being very experienced, all members of the team are good friends.

“I’m looking forward to simply being out there on the field with my team, fighting for each and every game with one another,” Andrie said. “As a team, we have the attitude that we will work hard and together towards success. I’m hoping this attitude translates into success on the ball diamond.”