East student’s senior project brings light to domestic violence, gender roles

The Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event will take place on Satuday, April 9th.

Natalie Ryan, Writer

Picture this: a crowd of men and women walking through Columbus on a Saturday morning, all sporting high heels, many outrageously decorated, banding together to raise awareness for domestic violence. It may sound like a dream, but this event is becoming reality through Katie Emmert’s senior project, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®.

Taking place on Saturday, April 9, the walk begins in front of the Columbus Learning Center and will consist of both men and women donning high heels with a goal of bringing light to domestic violence and common gender roles. All proceeds will be given to Turning Point Domestic Violence Services, who Emmert has worked closely with all year through her mentor Elisabeth Jones, Vice President of Resource Development at the organization.

Emmert is inheriting the project from 2015 East graduate Kayla Halterman, who established the project for the first time in Columbus last year.

“I thought it was a really cool idea. I think it’s a great way to spread awareness for domestic violence because walking a mile in high heels is really an attention grabber, especially with men doing it,” said Emmert.

Similar to most senior projects, organizing the walk required much preparation. Over the course of her senior year, Emmert has created a website and Facebook page, talked to local businesses to find sponsors, created radio announcements, and of course, written her senior paper. “In my paper I argue that traditional gender roles in the workplace and marriages can lead to domestic violence within relationships,” said Emmert.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® will begin at 10 a.m. in from of the Columbus Learning Center, with registration and sign-in at 9 a.m.. More information can be found on poster hanging up around East, and at the event’s website.

Remember to bring your high heels!