Remarking on 9/11, 16 Years Gone

Eli Newell, Web Editor

16 years ago today, terror spread across the country as one of America’s greatest tragedies shocked the country. Four planes were taken over by the terrorist group al-Qaeda as they set out on a mission to devastate the country.

The majority of high schoolers today were not alive for the actual attacks. However, that does not mean that they are not affected by the events of September 11, 2001.

For example, the senior class was either one or two years old when the attacks happened, and probably do not remember that exact day like the many Americans who can recall it like it was yesterday, but the enduring messages sent forth by leaders of our country that day continue to influence the way we live our lives.  

This means we as seniors have lived in a life of war on terror as America answered the 9/11 attack by deploying troops and money to counteract terrorism. High school students most likely only remember the tight security that has come about from the 9/11 attacks however the security has not always been so tight at airports and other places of interest.  

One plane flew into The Pentagon in Washington D.C. Two planes flew into the World Trade Center Towers in Lower Manhattan. One plane actually crashed in a Pennsylvania field, having been redirected by brave passengers who learned of the situation from loved ones as they said their final goodbyes.

Overall, about 3000 civilians and emergency response personnel were killed in the attacks and many more were injured.   

The act of terror triggered Bush’s declaration for “The War on Terror,” which is still ongoing. Security has been amplified across the nation from airports to sporting events. The entire country came together after the tragedy and united to keep the nation moving forward.

Today, there are several memorials that recognize the lives lost and the first responders who sacrificed their lives on 9/11.

The National September 11 Memorial is open in New York and is located at Ground Zero. The memorial commemorates the fallen and the heroes from that horrific day.

The National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial is located in Washington D.C. and each victim from the Pentagon attack has their own bench that is pointed in one of two directions. One signifies the victims from the plane passengers, while the other signifies the victims killed inside the Pentagon.

Check out links to the memorial websites below. As the nation reminiscences on the deadliest terror attack on American soil, the country can still feel the effects of the tragedy that befell our nation 16 years ago.    

New York Memorial- https://www.911memorial.org/

The Pentagon Memorial- http://pentagonmemorial.org/