Why do People Procrastinate?

Personal Experiences from a Few East Students

Kylie Brooks, Writer

Procrastination is the act of delaying something. Most people have procrastinated at some point in their life.

“…as many as 20 percent of people may be chronic procrastinators,” said the Association for Psychological Science.

“I’m lazy and it’s not fun to do things. Especially group projects. I always end up doing [the projects] because everyone else gives up,” Junior Quinn Dosterglick said.

Oregon State University said there are six common reasons that people procrastinate, one of which is the “I don’t feel like doing it” mentality that gets students in trouble.

That is why often, people will say that procrastinators are just lazy.

Laziness is often confused with procrastination, but being lazy is showing little to no care or an unwillingness to do work. Sometimes, procrastination is stemmed from laziness, but not always.

People will procrastinate for many different reasons.

At times, a person will put work off because of a fear of failure, a lack of interest or a lack of understanding. They would rather fail because they did not try, rather than do their very best and have a chance of not doing well.

Having a lot of work can also lead to procrastination.

Putting something off because it is easy for a person and they can do it quickly is another reason some procrastinate. Kadin Harden, junior, said that he does procrastinate, mostly from math homework.

“I procrastinate because I’m actually really good at it, so I don’t put much effort into it until I really need to get it done,” Harden said.