Chitty’s Monumental Win

Monica Burton

Coach Chitty celebrating with his team.

Monica Burton, Writer

Last Saturday night, the men’s basketball team pulled off an exciting win against Martinsville, with senior Matthew Frost dunking the ball during the first quarter. Throughout the entire game, the tension of whether or not this would be the game where Head Coach Chitty would earn his 300th win was in the air. Chitty only realized that this specific game could be the one the night before the game.

“At Madison, the radio announcers told me, but I had no idea before that,” Chitty said.

For 33 years, Chitty has been coaching men’s basketball and has spent nine years coaching at East. The greatest part about coaching for him is working with the young men. When asked how he felt to earn his 300th win coaching, his response was humbling.

“Number one, it’s just a nice way to say I am getting old. Number two, I didn’t score a point; I didn’t get a rebound; I didn’t guard anybody; it’s about the kids. The gentlemen I have had the opportunity to coach over the last 33 years, 25 as a head coach, have been a blessing. They’ve been coachable; they’ve worked hard; they’ve been good students in the classroom, and have been good players on the court,” Chitty said.

Over the years, Chitty has coached beside Hall of Fame Coach Tom McKinney, as well as play for Hall of Fame Coach Bill Springer. Even after all this time playing and coaching basketball, his love of the game still stands firm.