Dance Marathon raises money for local organization

Bryn Eudy

Dance Marathon committee members stand on stage while the total amount of money raised is revealed.

Caroline Steinrock, Writer

This past Saturday, the annual Dance Marathon was held at Central Middle School in support of Turning Point Domestic Violence Services. The fund-raising event attracted 495 attendees, from all BCSC senior high schools.

The attendance of the event increased significantly from the numbers recorded from last year. In 2015, 378 students attended the event. In 2016, 495 students attended, calculating to a 117 person attendance increase from last year.

Sophomore Natalie Glaid, member of the Dance Marathon committee truly believes in the importance and relevance of the event. “DM is a great way to get high school teens aware and informed on the reality and danger of domestic violence,” Glaid said. “I think a lot of people hear the words ‘domestic violence’ and simply brush it off, not realizing that it can in fact exist in teen relationships all around us.”

“We really tried to increase our attendance totals this year in order to spread awareness for Turning Point,” said senior Austin Lewis, co-chairperson of this year’s dance.

“[Increasing student attendance] was probably one of the most challenging aspects of the entire event. Another challenge that came with Dance Marathon was facilitating communication between the ten different sub committees. There was no issue with cooperation; it was just difficult to maintain consistent communication and understanding between so many sectors and committees,” Lewis said.

The event’s total gross income was $187,000. After paying the necessary expenses needed to host the event, the net income rounded out to $140,000.

“We were very happy with the outcome. We made more money this year than we expected to. It was a very successful event,” Lewis said.

Dance Marathon came with its challenges and oppositions, but all in all, the event rallied together a sizable amount of people who helped raise money for a serious cause. The event largely benefitted Turning Point Domestic Violence Services and offered senior high students an enjoyable night with friends.