Michelle Obama sets standard as most accomplished First Lady

The White House

Official portrait of First Lady Michelle Obama in the Green Room of the White House, Feb. 12, 2013. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

Karli Reynolds, Cover Editor

From first glance, Michelle Obama is not only polished, refined and physically appealing to the eye, but if one were to look a little deeper, they would come to the plausible conclusion that she is also one of the most accomplished First Ladies to ever see the White House.

Being the first African American First Lady, Obama has attained a multitude of achievements. The only First Lady to hold two Ivy League degrees, Obama is recognized as being intelligent and astute.

Along with her substantial intellect, Obama also receives admiration from the public. Unlike many First Ladies in United States history, Obama openly shows affection and love for her husband without scandal.

From her family life to her professional career, Obama prospers in all aspects of her life.

In 2010, Obama commenced Let’s Move!, an organization started to generate the togetherness of medical professionals, educators, community leaders and parents in an effort to confront the struggle of childhood obesity. From providing healthier foods in schools, to urging kids to be more physically active, Obama has made a conscious attempt to put a dent in child obesity.

One accomplishment of a multitude, Obama has also passed The School Lunch program, an organization that provides free and reduced meals to over 21 million low-income students. A new requirement has been added to the agenda that entails administrations to offer more fruits and vegetables to students.

While earning success in social and political efforts, Obama also triumphs in the art of jumping jacks. Obama shares the distinction with 300,000 other participants who now hold the world record for most people doing jumping jacks in a 24-hour period.

A reasonable conclusion to what many call a “well rounded” First Lady, Obama is an inspiration to women all around the world, demonstrating that a woman can achieve success in both her personal and professional life.

The views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of The Oracle, Columbus East High School, and Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation.