Grilled Cheese Thursday

Hannah Harris, Writer

Off-campus lunch can be a complete wallet drainer. Sure, it’s delicious and there’s so many options to choose from. In fact, it doesn’t have to cost anything at all.

Every Thursday, St. Peter’s offers a free lunch for students from Columbus East, North, and CSA. Grilled Cheese Thursday, as it’s called, has been serving free grilled cheese along with chips and fruit for about two years. It has grown from having about 80 kids a week to 150 kids in just a year.

“The purpose of Grilled Cheese Thursday is to simply let every high school student know that they’re welcome here and that they can get free food in the middle of the week,” Mike Jessop, Youth Director at St. Peter’s, said.

The church offers classic grilled cheese along with a variety of unique grilled cheeses, including mac ‘n cheese, chicken and bacon, pulled pork, and so much more.

“There’s so many creative things that we can do with it,” Jessop said. “It’s not just the same thing every week.”

Grilled cheese is a favored food by many, but it’s also practical for the use of the church.

“I think there’s already a place that does tacos so it became something that is relatively cheap for the church to provide for students whereas other stuff might be more expensive,” Jessop said.

If you ever find yourself craving a mouthwatering, extremely appetizing sandwich that happens to be called grilled cheese on a Thursday, St. Peter’s is the place to go.