BCSC Releases Coronavirus Statement

Caroline Emerick, Content Editor

Design by: Aiden Nesci

Something that has been on everyone’s minds is COVID-19 or Coronavirus disease. This virus has become a public health emergency and many countries are struggling under pressure to find a solution. As many cases around the U.S. are coming in, Indiana now has its own fair share of them. 

Many school districts are contacting parents of students about the virus giving them updates on confirmed areas around the state as well as tips to help prevent the spread. BCSC district superintendent Jim Roberts is preparing teachers for when the virus comes into Bartholomew County schools and how they can teach effectively if eLearning is initiated. BCSC administration is also working hard to find ways to compensate support staff. A statement from Roberts released on March 10 insists that they are working very hard to find solutions and work-arounds for these individuals.

“We are working internally to identify as many opportunities as possible to gain meaningful paid work time and externally with state agencies to understand flexibilities that might exist [regarding pay],” Roberts said in the statement.

At Hickory Elementary School in Avon, a student was tested positive which lead to all schools in the district to switch to eLearning until after spring break. However, when another student was confirmed to have the virus, the district decided to remain closed through March 20. Colleges have begun to take caution of the virus as well,including IU, Purdue and all Ivy schools which are closing for an additional two weeks after their spring break. IU is even encouraging their study abroad program students to consider returning home early to protect them from sickness.

Health organizations worldwide have stated that while the public needs to take this outbreak seriously, there should be no cause for panic as this can only make situations worse. Many officials view this no differently than they would the Influenza, but this does not mean to take the virus lightly.

There are many simple ways to keep yourself healthy when it comes to the Coronavirus. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has listed some tips for prevention: “Stay away from people who are sick. Disinfect frequently touched objects or surfaces such as toys or door knobs. Stay home if you are sick,” the institution stated. “Cover coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue. Avoid touching your eyes and face.”

If you or a person you know have any symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath or cough, health officials are encouraging these people to stay home and self quarantine themselves for up to 14 days. If you are traveling outside of the U.S. for any reason, whether by flight or cruise, BCSC requires this form to be filled out before the departure of the student or staff member that is traveling. This will help BCSC track whether this student or staff member is going to a country of high risk and can allow a quicker response to be logged if the person contracts the virus.