The Food Pantry Is for YOU

Caroline Emerick, Content Editor

Now more than ever students and families are feeling financially strained. With the rise in food costs, many families find themselves short of adequate food supplies. Despite this, Bartholomew County School Corporation (BCSC) wants its students and families to know that the East food pantry is still open.

The food pantry has been around for about seven years and has served over 6,289 families in BCSC. With social distancing still in effect, the East food pantry continues to do their best to serve BCSC students. Food will be distributed in a safe, no contact manner. Greg Lewis, one of the teachers that helps to run the pantry, explains the procedure in this way.

The procedure for the drive up/pickup/no contact distribution is as follows: Families stay in their cars (we have also had some families walk up and ride their bicycles) and form a line starting in the west parking lot where the tennis courts are,” Lewis said, “We place a pre-bagged collection of food on tables near the curb, call cars forward one at a time, step back, and the families load the food into their own vehicles, thus maintaining required physical distancing.” 

While the student body is not meeting at school for classes, the food pantry still needs donations at this time. 

“Donations can be dropped off in the vestibule outside the main office, and I can take them down to the food pantry. I come to East almost every day… and if I am there, food can be dropped at the food pantry at door 31,” Lewis said.

If you would prefer to not donate goods, monetary donations are also accepted.

“Cash or donations by check made out to “Columbus East High School” with “Food Pantry” in the memo line can be dropped off in the main office or mailed to Columbus East High School, 230 S. Marr Rd., Columbus, IN 47201. The money is deposited into the Food Pantry account in the bookstore, and we use that money to purchase food in bulk quantities from Gleaners or locally at Aldi’s or Sam’s Club.” 

Usually, the pantry would be open to shoppers every second and fourth Friday each month but now due to COVID-19, the pantry has limited openings. In the past, the food pantry has been open to anyone in need but currently they are only allowing BCSC students and their immediate family to shop. Only one bag of food per family is allowed but there will be several pickup dates in the future. 

Friday, May 15- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Friday, May 29- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.