The official news website of Columbus East High School

CEHS News

CEHS News

CEHS News

Naloxone Goes Over the Counter for College Students

Grace McMahon

In recent years, opioid-related deaths have been rising and have been a severe public health concern for college students. Given the college culture and environment, it is no surprise that exposure to alcohol and opioid substances has increased. 

While no statistic reports the death toll of opioid-related overdoses in College students, it is said that one in four students are illicit drug users. With all this being said, the concern has been enough to allow some states across the nation to allow Naloxone to go over the counter.

Narcan, the brand name of Naloxone, is a life-saving medication that can reverse an overdose from opioids, including heroin, fentanyl and prescription opioid medications when given in time. 

Naloxone is often administered by EMTs responding to overdoses. However, because Narcan is only effective during a certain time frame, it is important to administer the drug as soon as possible. 

The solution to this nationwide concern has been to allow Narcan to be purchased over the counter. Training to use the Narcan nose sprays has also been available to college students, especially those involved in Greek life, such as Sororities and Fraternities. 

In some instances, free Narcan vending machines have been spotted on College Campuses. 

With all this being said, there is hope that easy access to over-the-counter Narcan will encourage College students to carry it with them, as well as be enough to lower the overdose toll.