Dear Delaney: Distractions, confusing feelings and boundaries

Delaney Jackson, Students Writer

dear-delaney-01

How do you avoid being distracted by a relationship if it is always on my mind during school and extracurriculars?
– Always Busy

Dating in high school is tricky, no doubt. Relationships take a lot of work and can only be successful when you have the time to devote to each other. With homework, sports, charity work, family time and figuring out what the future holds, dating can be really distracting. I think that you should take an evaluation of your busyness right now and ask yourself if you truly have the time and energy to be in a relationship.

If you truly believe that being in a relationship is best for you but are still being distracted by it, you should find the solution that works best for you and your significant other. Something that works for many couples is having a set ten to twenty minutes to talk on the phone after extracurriculars. This could help you focus on your activities since you know you can catch up afterwards and also gives you something to look forward to. Also, it is important to remember your priorities. Remember that this is high school and that school and extracurriculars need to come above a dating relationship for the benefit of your future.

Just be careful and have fun! Remember what’s important and do what works best for you and your significant other.

There's a guy that I've known since the beginning of the year and I feel like we've been through alot together. Lately, he's been giving me obvious hints that he likes me and might ask me out very soon but I'm not sure if I like him back. What should I do?
– Go for it?

Honestly, it is not fair to you or your friend to lead him on if you are unsure about your feelings. You mentioned that you have been through alot together and knowing that, I think it’s very important to put his long-term feelings at the top of your priorities. Though yes, agreeing to be with him would make him feel good for the moment, he would be miserable to eventually find out that you weren’t all in.

You should truly take time to sort out your feelings before making any decisions regarding a relationship with him. It is super important to take time in order to make sure his feelings are what you think they are and to make your own decision. To avoid hurt for both of you, take time and be careful with how involved you get.

Is making out bad for a relationship?
– Concerned teen

The physical element of high school relationships can be super tricky. It is up to you and your significant other to set solid and mutual boundaries as far as that goes, nobody can tell you what will be good or bad for your relationship. This should be one of the first talks you have with somebody you’re dating and there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Physical affection is very important in a relationship but it is definitely not the most important part of dating. Put your emotional relationship and friendship above your physical interactions.
2. Your physical relationship should never ever be more advanced than your conversations or commitment to each other. If you still can’t have a meaningful conversation, you may want to hold off on the making out.
3. The purpose of physical affection is to express your feelings to somebody with actions when words aren’t enough. You should never be physically affectionate to appease another person or because you feel like you need to in order to be in a “good girlfriend/boyfriend.”

Questions? Submit them here (they are completely anonymous):