Gymnastics team advances to state meet

Nicole Hendrickson

Adi Minor is air bound while completing a full during her floor routine.

Natalie Glaid, Writer

Last weekend, the Columbus East girls gymnastics team qualified for state. But they didn’t just barely qualify, they placed second overall as a team, and sophomore Adi Minor placed first all-around.

With the exception of getting second on floor, Minor achieved first place on beam, uneven bars, and vault. Along with placing first in almost all events, Minor also broke the all-around school record with a score of 38.725 out of 40. Andrea Stattenfield placed fourth on floor, as well.

“Once post-season began, I didn’t really think I’d be able to beat the school record for the rest of the season,” Minor said. “I was shocked and really excited about beating the school record, and then winning all-around was another awesome surprise!”

This upcoming weekend, East’s gymnastics team will be going to Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana on March 12 to compete in the state meet. At the meet, East will face crosstown rival Columbus North, and other top gymnasts from around the state.

Despite the intense competition, Minor and her teammates are ready.

“I think we’re prepared. At this point, there’s nothing major we can change. We just need to be open-minded and have a good week of practice. No one expects anything big out of us, so we just have to try our best and keep doing what we’ve been doing,” Minor said.