Scheduling next school year

Yetla Reyna, Cover Writer

In these upcoming weeks, freshmen, sophomores and juniors will be scheduling their next year.

For freshmen, this means taking what they have decided in their Keystone class, or not decided, and applying it to the rest of their high school lives.

For sophomores this means planning their toughest year in high school. Being able to take certain C4 classes and core classes that one was not allowed to as an underclassman.

Finally, for juniors this means planning their last year of high school before they head off into the real world. This real world includes work, college and maybe even a year off.

A student with a career in mind should recognize the classes that are offered at East and North. If a student does not know their career choice, it is important to know the options that come with East and North’s classes.

C4 classes are primarily for students that know their certain careers, but some students use the C4 classes as a way to explore careers that interested them in Keystone.

C4 classes are divided in 10 pathways with many classes in each pathway. If one decides to be a teacher, they would probably take the Teacher Preparation Program class under the Human Services pathway.

There are many classes available for students, both at East and North, that can help or prepare for the future. C4 and AP/ACP classes are for students to challenge themselves and for hands on experience.

An AP class is a subject where a student learns throughout the year and at the end of May, is able to take a test to see if the student is able to obtain an AP college credit. Both AP and ACP are college and high school credit, but ACP is based on the grade a student receives in class. ACP is also a dual credit program offered through Indiana University,

Core academic classes include classes that are under the main four categories of school: English, science, math and social studies.

Taking AP and ACP classes can get a student college credit and the class can challenge the student’s academic ability. AP or ACP classes can be in all of the types of core academic classes.

It’s important to know what classes a student has signed up for. If someone cannot deal with the sight of blood or dissections, they probably should not take some of the C4 classes. If a student does not like or does not do well on tests, it might be better to take the ACP option of an AP class.

Using the classes available for students, one can learn many things about what they do or do not like. Something important to keep in mind when scheduling is the Curriculum Guide on the East website. It will help choose classes and make sure students know what the classes are about.