The official news website of Columbus East High School

CEHS News

CEHS News

CEHS News

Spooky Season

Spooky+Season

Halloween is the one night a year when it is expected for complete strangers to show up on your doorstep and ask you for candy. Halloween was invented around 2,000 years ago when the Celtic people in Europe celebrated the end of the Harvest. Although, people did not start dressing up and wearing costumes until 1585. 

Some common themes that may be seen this year among girls’ costumes could be Taylor Swift, Barbie, and many other iconic roles that have been consuming the public’s attention this year. 

Although some people believe that you can go trick or treat at any age, others think that once you enter high school, it is no longer appropriate for you to participate in the holiday. Halloween is not restricted to an age. The forms of celebration range from parties to walking around holding hands with your sibling. As time goes on, there are many different ways to enjoy the time you have to get out of character and just have a celebration with your friends through watching movies. 

Scream, Halloween and Candyman are all horror movies that are some of the most popular options for when you and your friends want to have a movie night. Movie nights with friends do not always have to revolve around horror though. Some low fear horror movies are Hocus Pocus, Freaky Friday, and a personal favorite, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Although Halloween has attracted some negative views from certain groups, if you learn to embrace the joy from others around you, Halloween can be one of the most enjoyable holidays to celebrate with friends and family.