The official news website of Columbus East High School

CEHS News

CEHS News

CEHS News

27th Annual MLK Breakfast

This year Columbus hosted the 27th Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast. This year the breakfast was held at The Commons. The breakfast took place on Monday, Jan 15 from 7 am to 9 am. The theme for the event this year was “It Starts With Me: Shift the Culture, Be the Solution.” 

There were many guest speakers at the breakfast, including Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation Superintendent Jim Roberts, Mayor Mary Ferdon as well as many others from the town. In the past, many people from the community have shown up to support the event. 

The event also had a buffet-style breakfast, welcoming anyone from the community to come in to eat and to be present for the event. 

Senior Messiah Trapp was invited to attend the breakfast, along with Senior Maleah Dyette.

“I am looking forward to the event,” Trapp said. “It is a great way to honor MLK and bring our community together.”

The town rallies together with the help of local businesses to provide the chance to give six high school students $1,000 in college scholarships. The scholarships are given as a chance to show the students and community that they are supported and to emphasize the importance of education. 

Both senior Maleah Dyette and senior Messiah Trapp were awarded scholarships at this year’s MLK breakfast, along with four other students from the community. 

This year there were an estimated over 300 people that attended the breakfast. There were many great speeches given by community members and was a great success for the community.