The official news website of Columbus East High School

CEHS News

CEHS News

CEHS News

Mass Shootings in America

Throughout America more and more school shootings are occurring. Students and even parents have taken to Tik Tok and other social media platforms to complain about the impending doom that is bound to happen at this point. 

Parents specifically have been talking on the internet about sending their children to their schools. Parents are also saying that the fact they are spending money on bullet proof or clear backpacks is absurd. Many students are also voicing that they are terrified to go to school. 

Parents have videoed themselves having to look for these now school issued backpacks and crying as they drop their kids off at school, while students are coming out and telling about their story from when their school was taken over by a school shooter.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 25 mass shootings from April 12, 2023 to April 23, 2023. That is a little over two shootings a day in less than two weeks. Many Americans are scared and worried about how many more are going to occur as the year continues. 

As these shootings are getting more common, the topic of gun laws inevitably comes into play. While many people debate whether the public ownership of AR-15’s are really necessary, the other debate is that it is in the constitution to be able to own a gun. 

While the public debates this, schools are still being infiltrated and children are being traumatized.